College student cover letter sample
Writing a cover letter for that first job after school is particularly difficult—and particularly important. This sample can help.
College Graduate Cover Letter Sample
Writing a cover letter for that first job after school is kind of a catch 22. On one hand, you don't have much material to work with; on the other, you need a strong resume to get you in the door.
Don't fret: Lots of people have done this before you and gone on to amazing careers. You'll just want to highlight what you've learned in school, side jobs or internships that is relevant to the position. View our college graduate cover letter sample below as a guideline, and if you need more help, Monster's partners at TopResume can help you create a high-impact resume and cover letter.
4 Church St. | Sometown, NJ 08888 | (555) 555-5555 | email@example.com
1530 State St.
Anytown, NJ 08999
Dear Ms. Yu:
Your advertisement for an HR assistant fits my qualifications perfectly, and I am writing to express my interest in and enthusiasm for the position.
After completing a business degree from Rutgers University in May, I enrolled in a human resource development program to enhance my credentials in my chosen field. Course highlights include: Leadership in an Organizational Setting, Performance & Task Analysis in Human Resource Development, and Technology in HR Settings.
Based on your description of the ideal candidate, I also offer:
- A solid educational foundation in organizational development, employee training and development skills and knowledge of how to use technology to improve individual/organizational performance
- A proven ability to build rapport with individuals from all backgrounds
- A track record of excellent performance as a part-time/summer employee concurrent with full-time college enrollment
I would very much like to meet in person to share more of my qualifications and learn more about your HR support needs. Please feel free to call me at (555) 555-5555 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you for your time and review of the enclosed resume, and I look forward to speaking with you.
See all sample cover letters on Monster.
A large collection of real, high-quality new college grad resume and cover letter samples for improving your job, internship, grad-school search. Provided at no cost.
Note: These resume samples are just a small part of vast collection of the Professional Resume Samples we offer at Quintessential Careers. We encourage you to take advantage of all the resources we offer you!
You’ll need Adobe Acrobat Reader, a free download available here, to view these resume samples.
Get ideas for how to develop your own resume and cover letter by looking at these samples of fictionalized real new-grad resumes and cover letters*:
- Sample Chrono-Functional New Graduate Resume: Copperplate Design: a design variation on the chrono-functional resume for college students and new grads. Note that while college students should strive for 1-page resumes, those with exceptional experience can have a second page.
- Sample Chronological New Grad IT Resume: Classic Design: this design for new grads in the information-technology field contains our reader-friendly keyword section showcasing computer skills. Note that while college students should strive for 1-page resumes, those with exceptional experience can have a second page.
- Sample Chrono-Functional Resume with Graphic: this chrono-functional new-grad resume uses a small, tasteful graphic to instantly convey the the grad’s desire to help coach softball at her alma mater.
- Sample Chrono-Functional Marketing Resume: this grad’s chrono-functional resume is sharply targeted toward a job in marketing.
- Sample Chronological IT Resume: this grad lists a number of relevant projects in his Education section. Note that he lists only his GPA in his major as it is higher than his overall GPA.
- Sample Chrono-Functional Biotech/Sales Resume: applying her academic scientific background to a job in the business sector is the goal of this new grad’s resume.
- Sample Chronological Investments Resume: a new grad with unusually strong experience while in school makes the most of his finance background in his resume. See accompany cover letter below.
- Sample Chrono-Functional Medical-Equipment Sales Resume: with a degree in psychology, this grad includes a Medical/Health Care section in her chrono-functional resume to target it to pharmaceutical sales. See accompany cover letter below.
- Sample Chrono-Functional Pharmaceutical Sales Resume: this grad makes the most of her sports experience, suggesting that her competitive drive will help her succeed in pharmaceutical sales.
- Sample Chronological Public-Relations Resume: this grad includes hands-on projects in her Eduction section and also includes a Teamwork/Leadership section. See accompany cover letter below.
- Sample Chronological Resume Targeting Health-and-Wellness Industry: this resume and the one below show how a new grad can make minor tweaks to a resume to target different types of jobs.
- Sample Chronological Resume Targeting Management Position in Healthcare or Hospitality: here, the grad has included a slightly different chronology of jobs to show those most relevant to the type of jobs he’s targeting with this version of his resume. See accompany cover letter below.
- Sample Chronological Management Resume: this new grad lists her many honors, distinctions, and volunteer/extracurricular activities in a two-column format at the end of her resume.
- Sample Chronological Finance Resume: this resume makes the most of a distinctive program at the grad’s college. See accompany cover letter below.
- Sample Finance Resume: another grad of the same distinctive program as the previous grad takes a slightly different approach with her resume particularly expanding on her Education section.
- Sample Law School Resume: graduate and professional programs often require a resume for admission; this one targets law school.
- Sample Chrono-Functional Internship Resume: this student has strong unpaid experience but little paid work experience. He therefore plays up his transferable skills in his resume. See accompany cover letter below.
- Sample Chrono-Functional Travel Consultant Resume: this grad uses a very specific objective statement and makes the most of international experience. See accompany cover letter below.
- Sample Chronological Artist Resume: this resume features a "headline" approach and an attractive design. See accompany cover letter below.
- Sample Chronological Management Resume: this new grad uses a skills-based objective statement.
- Sample Chrono-Functional Sales Resume: a chrono-functional approach enables this grad to feature applicable skills clusters. His professional history is presented in two columns.
- Sample Chrono-Functional IT Programming Resume: a keyword section detailing technical skills is a major feature of this resume. See accompany cover letter below.
- Sample Chrono-Functional Customer-Service Resume: this grad uses skills clusters that relate to his targeted job. See accompany cover letter below.
- Public-Relations Cover Letter Sample: the grad whose resume is above uses her cover letter to convey her enthusiasm for public relations. Note that she makes a smart connection between her Spanish-language skills and the employer’s location.
- Travel Consultant Cover Letter Sample: the new grad whose resume is listed above uses an attention-grabbing cover-letter opener and a reader-friendly bulleted style. The wording in the bullet points reflects wording in the ad to which the letter responds.
- Artist Cover Letter Sample: a solid understanding of what is needed in the targeted job distinguishes the cover letter of the grad w hose resume is above.
And take advantage of all of our free resume resources and cover letter resources, including articles, tutorials, quizzes, and much more!
The Quintessential Guide to Surefire Resumes for New Graduates and Other Entry-Level Candidates
*Many of these fictionalized resumes and cover letters are just a small part of a free Quintessential Careers Press e-book, The Quintessential Guide to Surefire Resumes for New Graduates and Other Entry-Level Candidates, by Katharine Hansen, Ph.D., and Randall S. Hansen, Ph.D. The book provides seven chapters that will help you pack punch into your resume and cover letter and then gives you two chapters of tools — worksheets and samples to guide you to applying what you’ve learned from the book to creating surefire career-marketing documents.
QUINTESSENTIAL RESUME-WRITING PARTNER
LiveCareer’s Resume Builder is the fastest, most efficient way to build an effective resume. Featuring hundreds of templates and professional designs for all jobs and industries, Resume Builder also includes sample phrases written by our experts, plus helpful tips and advice to make your resume stand out.
We’ll guide you step by step through the process, so you can build an impressive resume that will make employers want to know more. Ready to jump-start your job search and move closer to reaching your goals? Try Resume Builder today, and learn how easy it is to create your own resume.
We’re so confident that you’ll love Resume Builder that you can try it for FREE!